www.liondancing.org Forum Index www.liondancing.org
Lion Dancing Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Drumming Choreography

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.liondancing.org Forum Index -> Knowledge & Advice
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aus_Lion
Identity Verified
Identity Verified

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 3:59 am    Post subject: Drumming Choreography Reply with quote

Hi awesome lion dancers!

I have a question that's been on my mind lately.

As we wind down the peak season, our troupe's focus is to refine the existing lion and percussion choreography (choreo) as well as build on the routine with the inclusion of new segments or elements.

What I'd like to start with is drumming choreo. Our troupe's base beat is a hoksan beat, but what I've done is modified the core elements present in every performance to make ours unique - yet still resemble the core elements in its true form. Hope that makes sense.

So my question is, what elements should we not touch (do not modify) and just implement beat for beat (as per international competition standard) and which can I modify to suit our troupe?

Thanks in advance!

Edit: Here's a link to our performance to get a better idea of our choreo: http://video.google.com.au/videoplay?docid=-8103437332056120645

Prosperous Mountain Lion Dance (PMLD) - Canberra's first lion dance troupe.

Please visit us: www.canberraliondance.com
George
Identity Verified
Identity Verified

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do not think you should modify your beats to make your team unique because drum beats shows your linage. If you are following Hok Shan drumming you should stay within it. A better way I think is to utilize different Hok Shan 'sequences' (Hok San Sar Ping has with at least 18 ) to show your team's uniqueness.

There are no 'international competition standard' for drumming. It sometimes seems that way because the majority of teams competing follow or copy the Hok Shan style.
ramenn

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i agree with George. From the clip you posted it seems like you've modifiedyour original hoksan drum beats with some traditional. The same is done with many traditional groups who have just learnt the hoksan beat. However, you should remain with hoksan sar ping if your group is based on even though many people are getting tired of hearing those beats as its a trend all us lion dancers are falling into :L . Hoksan sar ping is a modified version of traditional beats ill take a random stab: probably the hongkong traditional beats Razz
George
Identity Verified
Identity Verified

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hok Shan style is a modified /diversion/branch/evolved Wink version of the Fat Shan style. Its lineage is quite well recorded(for those who can read Chinese go to Wan Seng Hangs's web page & go to the 'links' page). Its drumming, esp. the Sar Ping Lui family version are also well define/documented. Can you elaborate on what exactly is 'hongkong traditional beats' ?
emplion lion store
Identity Verified
Identity Verified

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good Show Dav!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.liondancing.org Forum Index -> Knowledge & Advice All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: