www.liondancing.org Forum Index www.liondancing.org
Lion Dancing Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Confusion

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.liondancing.org Forum Index -> Knowledge & Advice
View previous topic :: View next topic  
WiLyAm

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 6:42 pm    Post subject: Confusion Reply with quote

Hi, Our lion team is very new and we some complications with our teachers, so i have some questions i would like to ask.
In one part of our routine, We have the main lion get on head, then 3 lions go around it like a spiral and looks at the main lion,

Our teacher says that we are not suppose to do that, that that can only happen with a dragon in the middle. I would like to know if there are any rules on that.

Also, I was wondering if a mixture of the hok san drums can go with fut san dancing? Our teacher wants us to do that. I think that would be very hard, but i really dont much. Is that considered the hybrid style?

Our "teacher" never shows up for practice, only on performance to drag us around or change our routine on the spot. So ive been just getting information from teams around my area, and its hard to get a solid answer :/
Anyways
thank you Smile
vtml
Identity Verified
Identity Verified

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need to tell him to show up at practises, clearly it's too late to change anything on the day.
Green Giant

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 4:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It hard to say why your teacher is the way he is.

Maybe he doesnt have a good repore with your team members and feels the resistance when he sees things played wrong.

Your teacher is your teacher, is he a voulnteer or this is a business he runs?

Your options are clear from here, you can leave if this is his personel business and he is the sifu or try to replace him if it is an association that he volunteers for.

To learn off the internet is not a good direction for your group. You need a more stable teacher.
lionscave1
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Without knowing more about the routine itself and what you are trying to portray with the lions it's hard to give any definite answers. One thing that comes to mind is that if lions from one team encircle the lion(s) from another team it is usually a challenge.

If the center lion is being raised on a platform/pole or otherwise standing out from the rest of the lions circling can be done as if they were watching/encouraging the center lion.

You need someone with experience and knowledge when you are coming up with routines, not just commenting from the sidelines during/before a performance.
hasayfu
Identity Verified
Identity Verified

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

While I concur with people that you need to get a good sifu to give you a foundation, I do think it is a valid topic to ask for what are the “rules” around lion dancing. Understand that many schools have different rules but I think as a community we can come up with the common ones.

Circling Lions: In general, circling is an aggressive movement. It’s usually done to show ownership. That said, I won’t say it is never done. Like lionscave1 mentioned, when a lion is raised, I have seen lions circle. For me, none of my routines circle lions around another lion. We do circle objects (especially changes) to show symmetry and coordination.

Sniffing Butts: At no time should a lion sniff a butt. It is a rude movement which I was taught is calling the “sniffee” your “b*tch”

Kicking your legs straight up: This one I’m not as sure about. My sifu was a stickler about raising your leg at another lion like a stretch kick. Always bend your knee when raising towards another lion. I’ve never seen another team do this and we clearly don’t but I don’t know the meaning. Sifu explained it is aggressive but I don’t see why it is more aggressive then kicking at another lion.

I’ll stop here and see if the topic catches on.
lionscave1
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hasayfu wrote:
Sniffing Butts: At no time should a lion sniff a butt. It is a rude movement which I was taught is calling the “sniffee” your “b*tch”

There is a move where one lion will lick the collar of another lion. Sometimes, especially with the shorter tails these days and how the head moves away from the collar area after the licking, it might appear to be a butt sniff. Be careful when doing this.

I have also seen a video of a lion meeting where the two lions after the greeting bows pass each other side by side then when the lions are completely parallel the head players will raise their leg and rest it on the tail of the other lion. I thought it was an odd move.
WiLyAm

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thank you Smile What about the mixture ? is that a possibility?
nnnGUY
Identity Verified
Identity Verified

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 4:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Kicking your legs straight up: This one I’m not as sure about. My sifu was a stickler about raising your leg at another lion like a stretch kick. Always bend your knee when raising towards another lion. I’ve never seen another team do this and we clearly don’t but I don’t know the meaning. Sifu explained it is aggressive but I don’t see why it is more aggressive then kicking at another lion.

I was taught when greeting or coming across another team to not raise the leg off the ground full stop just to avoid misunderstanding. Whether that be kicking or raising a bent knee, as both can signify intention to kick at the other lion even if it was not purposely done so. Also, we normally have someone (the head of the troupe) to guide the lion/s when greeting other lions and they normally rest their arms on the head dancer's shoulders to keep them low or to prevent them from coming up (just in case the head player was not sure of the etiquette and to prevent egos).
lionscave1
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WiLyAm wrote:
thank you Smile What about the mixture ? is that a possibility?

The drumbeat is symbolic of the lion's heartbeat. It used to be that every style/school had a distinctive style that was followed the same basic patterns, but added their own take or flourishes to it. I would encourage you to develop your own drumming style while staying true to the basic beats of lion dance. Don't just copy another group's drumming style.
hasayfu
Identity Verified
Identity Verified

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 3:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RE: Drum beats.

For me, I can clearly hear the difference between Hok San and Fut San drumming. (there is some cross over but I'll cover that later)

I think mixing is not a good idea because the feel changes drastically. Using musical terms, I find Hok San ismore legato and Fut San is more Staccato.

Now you can argue why not have a musical piece that has both feelings. I say to each his own but since the lion must match the music, aren't you throwing the lions way off by doing that? Then again, some people can't tell the difference so there is nothing to throw off.

Finally, there are parts of fut san that are more legato and parts of hok san that are more staccato. These I think you can "adapt." I'm only speaking from a fut san view. I hear things in hoc san that I can apply to the basic rythmn of fut san.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.liondancing.org Forum Index -> Knowledge & Advice All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: