www.liondancing.org Forum Index www.liondancing.org
Lion Dancing Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Corey Chan/Chris-Golden Lock Cheng?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.liondancing.org Forum Index -> Knowledge & Advice
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Yauchoy
Identity Verified
Identity Verified

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I'm curious about is how they figured out the solution. I mean, what is the precedent? Is it just because of the fan's magic powers in legend? I guess I'm just stuck on how these guys even figured out the solution?
SleepingDragon
Identity Verified
Identity Verified

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yauchoy wrote:
What I'm curious about is how they figured out the solution. I mean, what is the precedent? Is it just because of the fan's magic powers in legend? I guess I'm just stuck on how these guys even figured out the solution?

Their teacher probably already knew it or they watched and knew at least that some chengs required the Dai tou Fut and went from there. The last could be their sigung told them after an inquiry. Either way their notoriety and reputation went up because nobody else did it right. Just like the old days. I am sure there are some that may have thought they knew the answer but did not want to try for fear of tarnishing their reputation if they got it wrong.

This is a set puzzle with a set answer. The thing about puzzles is that first you need to know the theme, what kind of props are being used for the array then you can know how to play. there is no set way to chose props, but the story and end result still must be conveyed.

example- 3 heroes battle lu bu-if only get lu bu's weapon then supposed to use the three lion liu, guan and zhang.

If get weapons to represent each hero

or maybe get a wooden bench with their name attached-

either way you need to convey that zhang fought lu bu first followed by guan and finally liu. Then taking away lu bu's weapon to signal his defeat.
Different props but same story told and end result same.

Sun Tzu
SleepingDragon
Identity Verified
Identity Verified

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What the Golden Lock may look like.

Front

Smaller character at the upper right and the upper left are read as san xian (三仙) which means the "three immortals". The three large Chinese characters in the middle of the charm are the actual names of the three immortals. Read right to left, they are fu lu shou (福禄寿) which means "happiness, emolument (which was the salary a government official received), and longevity.

Reverse

The large Chinese characters right to left as chang ming bai sui translated as "long life of 100 years". The small character at the upper right is ri (日) means sun or day. The small character at the upper left is yue (月) means moon or month. Displaying the sun and moon in this way symbolizes that the charm's good luck should be continuous day and night. Above and below each of these Chinese characters, and on the bottom of the front side of the charm, are dots representing stars. The sun, moon and stars together are known as the "three lights" (sanguang 三光) considered a symbol of good luck. To the right, left and below the inscription are clusters of five dots which represent the flower of the plum blossom. The plum blossom is also displayed at the very top right and top left on the front side of the charm. In winter, the plum blossom grows new flowers from seemingly dead branches. It, therefore, offers the promise of renewal and rejuvenation, continuity and happiness of life, in the face of adversity.

The plum blossom also symbolizes the "five blessings" (wufu 五福)

Sun Tzu
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.liondancing.org Forum Index -> Knowledge & Advice All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: