www.liondancing.org Forum Index www.liondancing.org
Lion Dancing Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Questions on technique: holding the head and thigh stacking

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.liondancing.org Forum Index -> Knowledge & Advice
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FrostyMiniWheats

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 7:52 pm    Post subject: Questions on technique: holding the head and thigh stacking Reply with quote

Hi everyone, I'm asking for advice on certain lion dance techniques.

First, I want to know how a dancer should hold the head. I have already heard people say they use their good hand (usually right hand) to control the mouth while their weak hand is holding the bar. But I have also seen it switched. Am I right to assume it's simply a matter of preference? Or is it different for fut san and hok san?

Second, I want to know the correct way to do thigh stacks. I have been taught that the head should point his toes inward in a thigh stack. So if he was looking down at his feet during a thigh stack, they would look like / \. But I have also been told and seen that the head's feet should be pointed outwards in a thigh stack, like this \ /. I would like to know your thoughts on this.
typograaf
Identity Verified
Identity Verified

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 7:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Questions on technique: holding the head and thigh stack Reply with quote

FrostyMiniWheats wrote:
Second, I want to know the correct way to do thigh stacks. I have been taught that the head should point his toes inward in a thigh stack. So if he was looking down at his feet during a thigh stack, they would look like / \. But I have also been told and seen that the head's feet should be pointed outwards in a thigh stack, like this \ /. I would like to know your thoughts on this.

My buddy does what's easiest for him: / \
vtml
Identity Verified
Identity Verified

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are correct in regards to preference on holding the lion head. Thigh stacks must be \ /, or better yet, _ _
Just look at all the people who jump on jongs, that's how they position their legs, it allows for additional moves as when you bend down, the knees will not knock each other.

living.traditions.pro
Identity Verified
Identity Verified

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vtml wrote:
You are correct in regards to preference on holding the lion head. Thigh stacks must be \ /, or better yet, _ _
Just look at all the people who jump on jongs, that's how they position their legs, it allows for additional moves as when you bend down, the knees will not knock each other.

I'm going to agree with vtml, when it comes to jongs, the tail players stance is smaller and a / \ footing is more difficult due to the interference of toes and knees. Secondly, a \ / footing allows the pair to go into a combination stunt, i.e. bending down to get the cheng or cleaning the fur.

however, when on the ground with the tail player in an open horse stance, the interference is reduced and a / \ is possible if it provides better footing for the head player and results in a stronger stunt.
-David
FrostyMiniWheats

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the tail is on the jong and has a smaller horse stance, isn't it even harder to use \/ ? Where can the head land his feet?
vtml
Identity Verified
Identity Verified

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FrostyMiniWheats wrote:
If the tail is on the jong and has a smaller horse stance, isn't it even harder to use \/ ? Where can the head land his feet?

It's all about how the lion head jumps, and how the lion tail holds the lion head player. Too hard to explain on the forum.

hasayfu
Identity Verified
Identity Verified

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For holding the head, I think itís preference. I teach to hold the mouth with your dominant hand. This is similar to two handed weapons work where the dominant hand is controlling the weapon. Similar also to holding a baseball bat.

For stacking, we do /\ mainly because this follows our stance training (Yee Gee Kim Yeung Ma) . I do see how \/ is more natural and even with my students, I have to train them to use /\. The /\ also follows the crease in the leg and hip so it fits right in. Since we donít do Jongs (only benches) it has not been a problem of knocking knees. For the few stunts that have the head go down from a stack, the tail usually holds the head and with the legs wrapped around the head so itís not an issue there either.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.liondancing.org Forum Index -> Knowledge & Advice All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: