www.liondancing.org Forum Index www.liondancing.org
Lion Dancing Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Questions

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.liondancing.org Forum Index -> Knowledge & Advice
View previous topic :: View next topic  
WiLyAm

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 11:01 pm    Post subject: Questions Reply with quote

Hi everyone,
My group had just and, not having a stable leader, is very inexperience and does not no much, So i have some questions.
This one guy came to our practice to bring the kids that wanted to join while we were planning out a routine. My member david said that guy was fairly good at dancing, but when we asked him he said he wasnt a lion dancer. So we went on with practice, and at the end, he ask ed who our teacher was and stuff. and went on to tell us wat we did wrong 0_o, it turned out he did lion dance lol, anywho so he told us that lions dont chase tail. Well i gues that makes sence since only dogs do it, but i see alot of groups doing it.

then he tells us "malaysian lions" dont roll out in a circle to get out at the end of the performance, cuz that wat the suit is for or w.e .

Then he told us that malaysian lions dont fight and im like maylasian lions ?? Isnt that like hok san lion? but he didnt answer me. and He goes only chinese lions fight. I dont think thats true, and didnt all lion orginated from china? I may be wrong idk, ask i didnt have a solid foundation,
So im wondering if any of the experience lion dancers can tell me and help me out? Because we are very shaky. Our drum beat is a differnt style then our dance hahaha we trying to fix that. xD
SleepingDragon
Identity Verified
Identity Verified

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where is your group based?

Quote:
then he tells us "malaysian lions" dont roll out in a circle to get out at the end of the performance, cuz that wat the suit is for or w.e .

Not sure what you are trying to say on the last half of the qustion?

Anyway, doesn't matter if they are in Malaysia, Singapore, HK, Taiwan China, etc., they are all Chinese lions. As far as style of dancing there is basically Fut San Hok San, and Chow Gar. However, because of competition, these same lions may do what is known as doggie lion, southern lion northern dance, golden lion style of dancing, meaning they are southern lion but their style of dancing is more like that of the northern lion.

If I may ask why did the subject of fighting come up?

As for chasing the tail etc, lions don't do stacks on the hind leg(s) either in reality, nor do they stand on the shoulders. However, again it is part of the routine. Just as when a lion trembles with fear, it is an evolution of skill.

Sun Tzu
WiLyAm

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

based as in like, where are we? We are in Dallas, Texas, ha. So basically they are all Chinese lions right? The fighting came up because our master wanted like that to be part of the routine, like he told us a story to it, and wanted us to kind reenact it. And the rolling out thing is, like at the end of our bow we do kind of a twist out? idk how to explain it.
hasayfu
Identity Verified
Identity Verified

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You don’t give a lot of context so I’m not sure if I’m answering the questions correctly but I do have some insight.

Rolling out. I think you are talking about getting out of the lion at the end of the show. The head person will lift the head up and swing it counter clockwise (usually) behind him and end up with the head on his shoulder. The tail does likewise and the pair ends up out side holding the lion on their right shoulder. This is a traditional way of getting out of the lion and done with the long tails. With the shorter tails of the Malaysian lions and the strap they use to secure the tail to the person, this form of exit is not done. Instead, they merely lift the head to the left the tail stands up next to the head with the tail wrapped around their backs.

Regarding fighting lions, this is something from the kung fu schools. It can be done in a routine or actual fighting. I won’t cover the actual fighting here but I have heard stories from the Tin Hau festivals in Hong Kong. For routine, we call it playing lions since they always make up at the end. I have never seen Malaysian lions fight but that could be due to 2 main reasons. 1) I usually see a single lion or huge groups of lions. Very rare do I see only 2 or three. For a fighting lion routine, you need 2 or 3. 2) Many Malaysian clubs are not kung fu schools. I think the fighting routines really came out of Hong Kong. On this topic, I am only guessing. I have no idea what this guy was considering “fighting”

On chasing the tail. Do you really see people chasing the tail? Going in a circle or a mui fah stepping pattern is not chasing the tail. There is a big difference between the three but I could see how they might look similar. I would agree that you shouldn’t chase the tail. There is also the circular switch which is going in a quick circle and the tail switches with the head.

Finally, you probably have a Sifu so be careful how you approach this but in Richardson you have two of the best HK style, traditional Lion Dance sifu’s I have ever met. My Si-sook Gobert Yeung and his partner Sifu Philip Ng. Both are Hung Gar lineage and very solid.

Maybe if you are more specific, we can give you more info.
WiLyAm

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you very much Smile u answered all my question, although i am curious, Is maylasian lions an actually thing u can call lions by? like its a certain type?
Also, would it be wrong to mix styles together?
vtml
Identity Verified
Identity Verified

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

haha I love it when people called it Malaysian lions. Fut San or Hok San lions are all Chinese lions. However, I think Siow sifu is one of the first lion make who came up with the latest contemporary design on lions, hence some people called those lions Malaysian lions, and those lions are often used in competitions nowadays (note, some teams still use the old lions in competition, and I think they are very cool too) compare to the really fierce kung fu style of lions.
George
Identity Verified
Identity Verified

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are only 2 types of Southern Awakening lion, Fat Shan & Hok Shan(well maybe Fat Hok). I feel that calling it Malaysian Lion (or Horse Pulling Lion Very Happy )somehow demeans it(ie. implies that it is not Chinese). Maybe Contemporary/Traditional or New/Old would be more appropriate(relating to the design of the head).
hasayfu
Identity Verified
Identity Verified

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 5:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Horse Pull (Ma Lai) - That's funny.

As an ABC whose been to Malaysia many times, calling it Malaysian Lion dance is purely a sign of respect. Much like west coast offense for Bill Walsh inspired football play. That doesn't mean that the game of football they play is different.

There is no denying that Siow Sifu has heavily influenced modern day lion dancing and honoring the location of the influence is usually used in the naming. Even Fut San and Hoc San are locations so I see nothing wrong in that.

The error, which can easily be made by those not knowing lion dance, is in comparing Malaysia (location) with Chinese (ethnic style).

One interesting point, the person who made this distinction seemed to know a little about lion dance so stange that he would say it wasn't chinese. Maybe he meant Hong Kong which is the other style we usually see in the US.
lionartst

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 10:51 am    Post subject: I Agree With All Of you Reply with quote

Yeah, Most of lion dancers today misunderstood that lion that malaysian do is called Malaysian Lion. No doubt that Master Siow has made his style of lion head so prominent that every one call them malaysian lion. You can say it is "Malaysian style lion heads design" But end of the day, Master Siow is only making Hoksan or Futshan even Futhok lion heads the Malaysian way. These lions, Hoksan, Futshan are all originated from China. BUT the Futhok, you can call them the Singaporean lion. Many don't know that FutHock was invented by the Singaporeans by combining two lion style into one.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.liondancing.org Forum Index -> Knowledge & Advice All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: