www.liondancing.org Forum Index www.liondancing.org
Lion Dancing Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Lion Heads-5 Tiger General's of Shu
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.liondancing.org Forum Index -> Knowledge & Advice
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SleepingDragon
Identity Verified
Identity Verified

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2004 9:47 am    Post subject: Lion Heads-5 Tiger General's of Shu Reply with quote

Looking for help in verifying what I once learned long ago (20+ years ago). Everyone knows about the the three sworn brothers and the lion heads attributed to them.

Sometime after, there was an additional 3 added to the set. They are Zhao Yun (zi long), Ma Chao, and Huang Zhong. For those who are not familiar, Zhao Zi Long is considered the forth brother. Anyway, along with the Guan and Zhang, they were known as the 5 Tiger Generals of Shu. Because Liu Bei was a descendent of the detoriating Han Dynasty, and Chinese people have always considered themselves descendents of Han, these were popular.

What I am looking for is information on what people were told was the colors of the lion head, beard and bodies of these 3 other Lions. I am sure there are others who also might find this of interest as few people are even aware of them to begin with.

Aloha

Sun Tzu
lionscave1
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2004 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since nobody else is touching this topic I'll post what I've seen/heard. Lion head painting is dynamic so there is room for some variations.

Zhao Zi Long: Green face, black highlights, green & black striped body, black fur. I've also heard silver beard & iron horn.

Ma Chao: Silver face, light blue highlights, silver body, white fur.

Huang Zhong: Yellow face, black or red highlights, same for the body (alternating stripes of yellow and either red or black to match the face), white beard. I've also seen yellow fur & beard.
sing see

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2006 6:31 am    Post subject: Re: Lion Heads-5 Tiger General's of Shu Reply with quote

SleepingDragon wrote:
Looking for help in verifying what I once learned long ago (20+ years ago). Everyone knows about the the three sworn brothers and the lion heads attributed to them.

Sometime after, there was an additional 3 added to the set. They are Zhao Yun (zi long), Ma Chao, and Huang Zhong. For those who are not familiar, Zhao Zi Long is considered the forth brother. Anyway, along with the Guan and Zhang, they were known as the 5 Tiger Generals of Shu. Because Liu Bei was a descendent of the detoriating Han Dynasty, and Chinese people have always considered themselves descendents of Han, these were popular.

What I am looking for is information on what people were told was the colors of the lion head, beard and bodies of these 3 other Lions. I am sure there are others who also might find this of interest as few people
are even aware of them to begin with.

Hello Sleeping Dragon , lionscav1 ,

Anyway , I thought there were 3 generals Kwan , Liu Pei , and I forgot the other generals name .
And I did ' nt know there were 3 more until sleeping dragon brought it up .
All I know is that these 3 generals fought for china and stayed together until china was reunited , and since they used kung fu weapons to fight their enemies , they are all being remembered as the king of all chinese martial arts regardless of style or system .
So the lions and these martial gods reflect eachother , chinese crafts men had made statues of these 3 generals and put them into chinese altars .
And those altars are placed in chop sueys , kung fu clubs , chinese societies , and places where chinese things are being preserved .

When it ' s chinese new year , or the kung fu schools anniversaries , grand opening of a chinese store , where chinese things are being sold .
The lions would always do 3 knee bows .
That ' s when the lion snaps his head up as he is bowing forward , and when he bows backwards , he ends up on his knees .

To better explain this bowing process , when the lion snaps his head up , you should be in a standing position .
From there the lion snaps the head down in a low position , where the lion sits on his knees , 3 times .
Then from here the lion dances around the altar .

The colors of the generals is suppose to reflect the colors of the lions , as for the 3 more generals being added , I would like to know too .
I do know is that the general with the kwan dao was used to cut the legs of the horses which was attacking the general using the kwan dao .
Maybe that ' s why certain system of kung fu have kwan dao sets within the system .
Anyway , I myself don ' t know much about the generals either , I ' m just sharing with you what I do know about these generals .

Take Care ,
Sing see

Aloha
Frank
Identity Verified
Identity Verified

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are 3 sworn brothers during the Three Kingdoms Period. Liu Bei, Guan Yu and Zhang Fei. Liu Bei known as the eldest and Guan Yu the secound eldest (also known as Guan Gong) and Zhang Fei as the youngest in the oath. The during the three kingdoms Liu Bei was known as the leader of Shu, along with the 5 tiger generals acommpaning him. They were Guan Yu(Tiger Leader), Zhang Fei, Zhao Yun (Zhao Zi Long), Ma Chao and Huang Zhong.

Liu Bei is known to have 2 swords- 7 coloured tail
Guan Yu's weapon is the Guan Dao- Green(Robe)/Red Tail, Red Face
Zhang Fei's weapon is the Serpent Spear (Snake)- The Black Fierce Lion
Zhao Yun's weapon is the Spear- Green/Gold Face
Ma Chao's weapon is the Spear- White/Silver
Huang Zhong's weapon is the Bow- Orangy Yellow

Frank
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Rong Jiang Jun
Identity Verified
Identity Verified

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

there is a funny thing about the lion that represents ma chao and huang zhong. there are many variations. for huang zhong's lion, its pretty clear that the lion has to be yellow. what color beard is the issue. white or yellow? for ma chao's lion from what i heard is a silver and purple lion with either black or white hair. eh.. so many poeple have so many versions its rather interesting. but over all as long as the lion has silver its ma chao.

as for the generals weapons, huang zhong's weapon or specialty was the bow but on the battlke field he also used a Da Dao. sometime called a elephant guan dao. instead of a cresent shape, it rounds out on top. ma chao's spear was also longer than normal. so his spear has a longer reach.

these are just some little things i learned.
LionDancer888
Identity Verified
Identity Verified

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Match the following to each of the 5 Tiger Genrals..:

1. General Who Scours Predators
2. General Who Conquers the Barbarians
3. General Who Keeps Order Afar
4. General Who Conquers the West
5. General Who Displays Prowness

LionDancer888
Identity Verified
Identity Verified

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

while we're on the topic: who was:

1. Guan Xing
2. Zhang Bao

Frank
Identity Verified
Identity Verified

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LionDancer888 wrote:
while we're on the topic: who was:

1. Guan Xing
2. Zhang Bao

1.Guan Xing was Guan Yu's son. Along with Guan Ping(Adopted son) and Guan Suo. When Guan Yu and Guan Ping was captured. Guan Xing tooked the Guan Dao to avenge his farther.

2. Zhang Bao was Zhang Fei's only son. He also sworn an oath with Guan Xing together to advenge thier farthers death. Zhang Fei was assassinated by his own subordinates. Zhang Fei had a 18-foot long spear with great accuracy.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
LionDancer888
Identity Verified
Identity Verified

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tops!
lionscave1
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting info, thanks! LD888, if you could design lion heads for the sons of the generals what would they look like? I'm just thinking for traditional teams that still use the 3 or 5 genreals' lions for performances their jr. or kids teams could use lions representing the sons instead of using the "baby liu bei" heads.
SleepingDragon
Identity Verified
Identity Verified

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 3:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found that the consensous among most people is the following

Liu Bei/Lau Pei-Yellow based face, Long white beard with white facial hair, multi colored body (colors of the 5 elements, because he was the emperor), 3 coins on the collar denotes 1st brother or older brother. Usually sports an eagle top knot. Known as the auspicious lion.

The Five Tiger Generals

Guan Yu-Red based face, Black facial hair, long black beard (known as the duke with the beautiful beard), red body with black outline. 2 coins to denote 2nd brother. Called the Awakened lion.

Zhang Fei-Black Faced, short black beard, Black body with white outlines. Straight horn/topknot, 1 coin on collar to denote 3rd brother. Known as the fighting lion. Also, Traditional lion had bells on the body, this served like a warning that trouble was coming and one had best stand clear.

Zhao Yun (zi long)-Green face, green body with black outline, most say white beard although some say black beard. Iron heard. Was known as the 4th brother. Called the Heroic Lion (cause he saved Liu Bei's son by going back, then returning through Cao Cao's million man army by himself.

Ma Chao- All white Lion. Known as the funeral lion. Because he wore a white arm band as a sign of mourning whenever he rode to battle to fight Cao Cao who had murdered his father and brother.

Huang Zhong-Yellow face, yellow body with white beard and fur. Was given this color by Liu Bei when Liu ascended the throne to become emperor. Known as the Righteous lion.

The 5 Tigers each enspouse one of the colors of the 5 elements.

As for 888's question-guess i'll have to reread the book or watch the video Very Happy

Sun Tzu
LionDancer888
Identity Verified
Identity Verified

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 3:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lionscave1 wrote:
Interesting info, thanks! LD888, if you could design lion heads for the sons of the generals what would they look like? I'm just thinking for traditional teams that still use the 3 or 5 genreals' lions for performances their jr. or kids teams could use lions representing the sons instead of using the "baby liu bei" heads.

Hi LC1...

we tried to design Zhang Bao (silver & black, black fur/trim w/ black body) and Gwan Xing (Red and silver. black & white fur/trim with red body).... our new inventory will have modifications to them....

as for Lui Bei's son, silver & blue/gold. white fur/trim w/ multi color body.

LionDancer888
Identity Verified
Identity Verified

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 3:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gwan Xing

LionDancer888
Identity Verified
Identity Verified

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 3:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zhang Bao

LionDancer888
Identity Verified
Identity Verified

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 3:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

heres an attempt of Ma Chao

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.liondancing.org Forum Index -> Knowledge & Advice All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: