www.liondancing.org Forum Index www.liondancing.org
Lion Dancing Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Please post some comments....
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.liondancing.org Forum Index -> Ideas and suggestions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Serhat
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2003 12:24 am    Post subject: Please post some comments.... Reply with quote

Please post some comments here so that we can get this thing alive Smile
JustSomeName

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2003 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

it seems like theres nothing to talk about...I think you'd have to start a bunch of threads for people to start talking
Serhat
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2003 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JustSomeName wrote:
it seems like theres nothing to talk about...I think you'd have to start a bunch of threads for people to start talking

In that case, we're having a chicken & egg problem Smile Isn't there some controversial topic in the world of Liondancing that everyone has an opinion on, but no one ever gets tired of discussing it?
Kai Jung Li

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2004 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps it's the lack of expertise in this field. I've been a long-time list subscriber and I remember when I subscribed, it was bustling with questions and other comments. There was also a very high degree of personal attacks probably because some of those subscribers were 'punk' kids who had no actual comments of their own.

There's hardly any discussions on the list. Perhaps most of us who have responded to the list do not find it worth replying because they do not want to be flamed.

Back to the lack of expertise. How many of us have a high degree of knowledge in this field? Most likely not a whole lot. And consider that those who have this knowledge tend to be a lot older and do not use the internet so they would not be able to respond to comments. Also consider that the list is in English and not Chinese.

Sifu Siow is highly respected and very well-known. Get him signed onto this forum and you will see a surge in registered users. Of course this assumes that Sifu Siow can read and write fluently in English, which he does not.

Perhaps sending the list some of these post questions to let the list subscribers know about this forum and perhaps it will entice them to join and post. A forum isn't a forum if no one posts anything!
Kai Jung Li

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2004 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

... or it's not controversial enough. Things that don't cause controversy does not market well. Controversial without attacking anyone/group.
Kam
Identity Verified
Identity Verified

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2004 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are many knowledgeable Chinese people who read and write English.
As Well, there are a fair number of Non-Chinese who are have knowledge and expertise in Southern Lion dance.
I think it is just a matter of getting the word out re: this forum.
I agree that a lot of the older members quit the list with the amount of juvenile flamming that was going on before.
PS. A lot of older people are totally conversant with computers and the net.
'Kam'

Serhat
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2004 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kai Jung Li wrote:
There's hardly any discussions on the list. Perhaps most of us who have responded to the list do not find it worth replying because they do not want to be flamed.

Well, the forum gives some possibilities to deal with abusers. Once it takes up a bit, we will be setting up some moderators for different forums so that they can deal with abusers by deleting their flames or by banning them from the forum. Feel free to suggest some responsible people to me or Chris -- we both have the capability to set moderators.
Kai Jung Li

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2004 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe an option to allow users to post pictures. That could be very helpful for those who do not know what someone is refering to.

A poll option, something that allows users to take a poll would be nice to get some input about something like:

---
Is lion dance better now than 10 years ago?
Yes __
No __
Maybe __
Kai Jung Li

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2004 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also noticed that this forum allows non-registered users to view the threads. This may not be wise but perhaps those who wish to view the threads must register first. There are only 13 registered users thus far and plenty of un-registered viewers.
Serhat
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2004 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kai Jung Li wrote:
Maybe an option to allow users to post pictures. That could be very helpful for those who do not know what someone is refering to.

I'm not sure that's possible with this forum software. However, you can host pictures in other locations and use BB code to refer to them. It'll be included in the text, just like an uploaded image would be, except that it's not on the server atm.

Kai Jung Li wrote:
A poll option, something that allows users to take a poll would be nice to get some input about something like:

Good idea -- this forum allows users to make polls.... you can make one yourself if you create a new message. Try it. We can have some long-running polls on relevant topics.
Serhat
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2004 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kai Jung Li wrote:
I also noticed that this forum allows non-registered users to view the threads. This may not be wise but perhaps those who wish to view the threads must register first. There are only 13 registered users thus far and plenty of un-registered viewers.

You are right that non-registered users can view threads. However, only registered users can post replies. I feel it is better for sake of openness if people can view our content without registration, but it's wrong to allow people to post things anonymously and/or without account. That way, IF someone is abusive, we can delete the account (although this would be an extreme measure) and optionally lock new account creation. There are far fewer options to abusive message viewing and we have the bonus that search engines might be more likely to link to our content.
Kai Jung Li

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2004 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is lion dance better now than it was 10 years ago?

[list=]Yes[/list]
[list=]No[/list]
Kai Jung Li

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2004 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Umm... I'm not sure how to make a poll. Is the "list" and "list=" what you're supposed to use?
Serhat
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2004 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kai Jung Li wrote:
Umm... I'm not sure how to make a poll. Is the "list" and "list=" what you're supposed to use?

I just made a test poll... perhaps it's an admin-only option?

When you create a new message (so not a reply, butthe 'new topic' button)... then below, you will get some options for making a poll. It *should* be in the same page as where you create a new message (i.e. thread beginning). You can add new poll options with 'add option'. Let me know if you get that too at the bottom of a page.... otherwise I'll have to fix it.
George
Identity Verified
Identity Verified

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2004 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
There was also a very high degree of personal attacks probably because some of those subscribers were 'punk' kids who had no actual comments of their own.

Do you think we should enforce all members here to provide more personal (regarding lion dance)info to all of the members so that at least we are more responsible for what we write, & get an idea on the background of the writers?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.liondancing.org Forum Index -> Ideas and suggestions All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: