www.liondancing.org Forum Index www.liondancing.org
Lion Dancing Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

My other childhood love

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.liondancing.org Forum Index -> Life, the Universe & Everything Non-Lion Dance (general chat)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lionscave1
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 7:08 pm    Post subject: My other childhood love Reply with quote

http://www.theshadowchronicles.com/

Anyone else grow up on Robotech?
WCLDT
Identity Verified
Identity Verified

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 5:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, that was way after my time. I got to grow up with Lost in Space, Ultraman and Star Trek just to name a few.
George
Identity Verified
Identity Verified

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No..but I did follow Macross & Mospeada..good to see Americans still copying the Japanese Smile
lionscave1
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

George,
Yep, when it comes to animation you can't beat Japan. Although a lot of it is being done in Korea now.

I loved Robotech, but had mixed feelings when I found out it wasn't a "real" show but a compilation and re-editing of 3 totally unrelated anime. Still an epic though.

Here's a good book on the influence of all of Asian pop culture on America:
http://www.amazon.com/Eastern-Standard-Time-Influence-American/dp/039576341X

WCLDT,
What about Space 1999? I remember watching those too, but I was really little…
monkeyking
Identity Verified
Identity Verified

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gosh... i'm feeling abit dated now... yeppers... i grew up on robotech, ultraman, star trek the original series, space 1999, battle star galatica & lost in space... just to name a few... Very Happy i still have the robotech series on video which my kids look at me funny when i watch it & can not see why i think it was cool.

i remember growing up in sf chinatown checking out all the japanese poppy figures in the stores & lion heads at cheong gee jan... ahh memories... Embarassed

cheers,
monkeyking

email: hungsingclf@comcast.net
SleepingDragon
Identity Verified
Identity Verified

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

George wrote:
No..but I did follow Macross & Mospeada..good to see Americans still copying the Japanese Smile

Never heard of this one what is the synopsis of this?

Anyway-Dragonball Z rules haha!

Sun Tzu
George
Identity Verified
Identity Verified

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lionscave1 wrote:
George,
Yep, when it comes to animation you can't beat Japan. Although a lot of it is being done in Korea now.

In a way yes, but the story line of some recent American anime are great too. However in terms of Mecha Japan is still tops. As is any industries outsourcing is a reality especially for such labour intensive project & in some cases the quality suffers too.

lionscave1 wrote:
I loved Robotech, but had mixed feelings when I found out it wasn't a "real" show but a compilation and re-editing of 3 totally unrelated anime. Still an epic though.

Well, the targeted audience were different..Macross is mostly a love story aim at teenagers & the theme of Mospeada is a bit too dark for kids I think. Same thing with Power Rangers.

As for Space 1999, the 'Eagle' spaceship still looks cool today but the Brits can't really make as good a SF as the Americans.
lionscave1
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

monkeyking wrote:
i still have the robotech series on video which my kids look at me funny when i watch it & can not see why i think it was cool.

i remember growing up in sf chinatown checking out all the japanese poppy figures in the stores & lion heads at cheong gee jan... ahh memories... Embarassed

My brother and I watched all 85 episodes, or whatever it was, in a weekend once--on a bad transfer from VHS to real player and back to VHS by the time we got our hands on it.

And Cheong Kee Jan was the bomb! I still take my kids there to stare at the display window when we're up in SF…

SleepingDragon, Robotech was a combination of 3 completely different anime series: The Super Dimension Fortress Macross, Super Dimension Cavalry Southern Cross, and Genesis Climber Mospeada. The editors/producers gave them new storylines and dialog. If I recall they even threw in some scenes from Vifam and other mecha anime.

George, Power Rangers? You must mean Gorangers! Power Rangers were such a bad series I'm surprised it lasted so long.

You're right about British sci-fi, but I think they just don't put the budget into it that the US does. No matter how good the story is, it just comes out looking campy. Like the Hitchiker's Guide to the Galaxy series.

And since we're being all nostalgic, what about Tranzor Z, Shogun Warriors, Voltron, Speed Racer and much later the Ronin Warriors?
George
Identity Verified
Identity Verified

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

During my time in Malaysia the only way for us to access anime is to rent VHS from Hong Kong so our choices were limited...only now I have the chance to get them by VCD. The current fashion is to remake/continue these classic & some are pretty good, ie, the Getter robot series.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.liondancing.org Forum Index -> Life, the Universe & Everything Non-Lion Dance (general chat) All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: